Hardware Tips for your Palm
Battery Issues, Rechargeables, Cradle Drain
IrDA, other stuff
- Peter's Pilot Pages gives in-depth information (from user level to very technical) on rechargeables, cradle modifications and Palm modifications.
- Use of rechargeable batteries with your Palm device (in German). Deals also with the shortcuts that you can use to change the internal algorithm that is used to calculate the battery level .
- Modify the Palm III cradle to reload rechargeables, a step-by-step instruction (in German) with layouts, part list etc. Provided by c't - magazin für computertechnik.
- Another cradle modificationat HTC Kral, providing an easier and cheaper solution, since only some resistors and diodes are needed. This modification also helps to avoid the cradle-drain problem.
- Use this connector between serial port and cradle to avoid the nasty drain problem. Advantage: no modifications on the device or the cradle needed, warranty is untouched!
- Emergency recharger (Notlader) for the Palm, can be used to provide the energy using regular batteries (9V, car battery). Useful while travelling without the cradle, or when no computer is available.ņi>
- Peter's Hardware This and That has cradle modifications, and a fix for the annoying scroll buttons on the Palm III.
- Tills Palm Pages provide excellent coverage on many hardware issues, such as the annoying scroll buttons on the Palm III.
- A tilt sensor that allows your Palm to measure acceleration and gravity.
- IR Fix from Palm for PalmOS<3.3 to enable the Hotsync Manager to do its job via the infrared port, without the need to upgrade to OS 3.3
- IR Sync+, a IR hotsync freeware that uses Serial IR to hotsync the Palm with your desktop. It also turns the IR on and off on a "as needed" basis, so there is no need to fumble around with preferences all the time.
- Hardware Stuff, such as "How to connect a Palm cradle to a Modem", or "How to open the case".
- PalmPilot Roboting Kit, a kit that enables you to build autonomous robots controlled by your Palm device
- Palm Hardware FAQ, in German and very extensive. Covers problems like screen "rejuvenation" and graffiti hints.
- Palm V PALM PILOT IBM WORKPAD 3Com @ abyte.de, a provider with a broad offer of Palm devices. I haven't personally tried their service yet, I just use the list to check the prices.
Achim J. Latz,